St. John the Baptist Parish Public Schools is committed to providing a high quality, equitable education for all of the students we serve. During this time, we are committed to providing parents and caregivers with an alternative to the traditional school environment. It is our hope that providing a virtual option for school in the 2020-2021 school year will provide better options for parents. This document outlines the virtual environment that will be provided by St. John the Baptist Parish Public Schools.
SJBP Virtual Learning Program Expectations:
- Students will be provided with the technology needed to engage in virtual instruction.
- Classes will meet five days a week.
- Teachers in grades K-12 will utilize the Microsoft Teams Platform.
- Pre-K teachers will provide students account access information for ABC Mouse and Frog Street virtual learning opportunities (applies to Phase 1 only).
- K-12 teachers will utilize the following high-quality, Tier 1 curriculum and aligned instructional resources in each of the core content area classes
- ELA: LearnZillion and CKLA
- Mathematics: Eureka Math and Zearn
- Science: IQWST, Amplify, Studies Weekly
- Social Studies: Studies Weekly, DBQ, and Louisiana State Department Scope and Sequence
- The Virtual Learning Program will consist of a balance of teacher-led instruction and independent learning opportunities for all students.
- Teachers will prepare and deliver high-quality lessons using rigorous, aligned instructional resources.
- Teachers will support students in whole groups and small groups.
- Modifications and accommodations will be provided for diverse learners.
- Additional supports will be available for individual students.
- Students are expected to participate in daily required lessons.
- Student assignments will be grade weekly assignments.
- Students will receive regular feedback on all graded assignments.
- Students must complete all required homework and assignments.
- Parents/guardians will receive regular communication from teachers.
- Parents must ensure students participate in lessons and complete all required assignments and homework in a timely manner.
- Parents must ensure that all students take all required local and state tests
- Parents must commit for the semester with the option to continue virtual learning for the entire school year.
- Any student who participates in the Virtual Learning Program will remain a student at his/her district school.
- Families must complete a School Change Request form in order to exit SJBP’s Virtual Learning Program before the end of the semester.
PreK-8 students will follow these guidelines
- Pre-K students will log into ABC Mouse and Frog Street to engage with high quality resources (applies to Phase 1 only).
- Students will complete all assignments and submit all work by the timelines given by their teacher.
- Students will save all work in Microsoft Teams.
- Students will use Microsoft Teams to communicate with their assigned teacher. Students will contact teacher via email when extra help is needed, or questions arise.
- Students will follow online etiquette as well as copyright policy.
- Students will be considered truant if they fail to log in and engage in learning for more than 10 unapproved/non-medical days per year. If your child is sick or having technical issues, contact must be made with the SJBP instructor.
High school students will follow these guidelines
- Students will be expected to log in and engage in learning during all SJBP school days.
- Students will be expected to check their SJBP email daily and use SJBP email to correspond with online teachers.
- Students will be considered truant if they fail to log in and engage in learning for more than 10 unapproved/non-medical days per year. If your child is sick or having technical issues, contact must be made with the SJBP teacher.